VPLA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebranding the forums

4 posters

Go down

Rebranding the forums Empty Rebranding the forums

Post by Landsend Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Hey folks 

Am in the process of updating this space and am going to rebrand the forums as a space for military past lives as opposed to being just Vietnam centered. Of course Vietnam will keep its section but want to create seperate sections for different wars and eras. The main focus will be to support veterans of wars from previous lives.

So am putting the question to you guys. What should we name ourselves? Any suggestions welcome.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

https://vpla.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Rebranding the forums Empty Re: Rebranding the forums

Post by Landsend Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 pm

A few suggestions:

Military Reincarnation Forums (MRF)

Veterans Past Lives Association (VPLA)

Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanSol Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Just popped in my head "Warriors, past and present" or "Warriors reincarnated"
It's late and my mind is all over the place war wise so probably pretty lame but might as well post it
CanSol
CanSol
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenz1010 Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:49 am

I like that ^^
Like all the suggestions really.
Kenz1010
Kenz1010

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Will list up a few more ideas, put a poll together and we'll have a vote...

Wish I had the money to get rid of the adverts.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanSol Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm

The ads don't bother me
CanSol
CanSol
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:26 pm

I know but being the control freak I am, this place doesn't feel like 'mine'. The database is not accessible to me.. only forum motion. I've been looking into exporting it, can't do that. Keep getting ads about latino ladies and diamond jewellery Rolling Eyes Yeh Google you know my search history well don't you Evil or Very Mad Razz

My options are:

- Find a script that might allow me to export posts/users
- Manually copy and paste all the posts we have here, start afresh on my new private server (once I get it all working -- will have to learn and first make it up on my computer) and then have all the folks who want to be on the new forum re-register...

I think it'll have to be the latter. However that takes time. I'll have a mess around on my computer. Back when I had my own online business, it was a Wordpress supported site, all on my own server. I liked having that flexibility. But it took me months of none stop working to get it up and running as it requires me to set up servers and all that... plus would be paying for a monthly domain/server space.

Need to do some researching. Will get the hubster to help, he's good at spotting open source software.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 pm

My other fear is that forumotion shuts down. We'd potentially lose all our content here. That prospect worries me. I recommend you all, every so often, print your most valuable content here to PDF format and save them on your hard drives in the event it happens.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanSol Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Wordpress does work best, we have a site builder in our Para icehockey team's support staff

In my case it wouldn't be a disaster if my posts have to be reuploaded, I actually made a document where all my lives and memories are documented with info and what memories I have for each life on chronological order
I can do the same for Kenz, sort them out so that they're ready for upload and maybe it'll help her sort things out, same thing for Jim, I've actually copied all of his memories from the other forum and he has the document

In your case you've probably gone to the same trouble that I've done with creating a document with all the details
CanSol
CanSol
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Man I have folders and folders of this stuff, plus separate folders for the POWMIA case of Terry and newspaper clippings I've found. Then other research I've done.

Good to know it wont be too much hassle when I get this sorted. I'll have a word with my partner tonight and get his thoughts, he usually has good ideas.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:48 pm

This looks very promising: https://bbpress.org/

I'll probably be using that as a basis. And will get a domain name. You usually have to pay a yearly fee for a domain... hosting varies. I'll probably start with the most basic (cheapest) package, and then if we expand can go from there.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanSol Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm

I'll back up some stuff again for Jim and start working on Kenz her memories, perhaps me sorting them out and where possible putting them in chronological order will help and adding where I know for sure if something happened in Normandy or Holland can lift the fog a bit (been dealing with that war a long time so often know quickly where something happened)

And just so you know, I have no problems sending you some bucks to pay for the domain since this is a joint effort pretty much since day 1
CanSol
CanSol
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:54 pm

then we have this, which forumotion is basically based on: https://www.phpbb.com/

It would be very similar to this
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 pm

In the beginning I'm sure I can keep it low cost, may have a donate option if we expand beyond our current little sphere. As you know the major perks of this place is that we are private and low key and I want to keep that. It's the major reason I want to make the forums more secure and in our control.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:58 pm

If you find any other open source platform let me know
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:28 pm

Have been looking into sub-sectioning the forums, doing it by century would be counter-intuitive IMO, it would be too messy, plus too many conflicts to think of. Then there's the fact that different cultures have different concepts of history and time. Wikipedia threw up this list:

General Periods[edit]
Further information: Universal history
Pre-History – Period between the appearance of Homo ("humans"; first stone tools c. three million years ago) and the invention of writing systems (for the Ancient Near East: c. five thousand years ago).
Stone Age
Paleolithic – is the earliest period of the Stone Age
Lower Paleolithic — time of archaic human species, predates Homo sapiens
Middle Paleolithic — coexistence of archaic and anatomically modern human species
Upper Paleolithic — worldwide expansion of anatomically modern humans, disappearance of archaic humans by extinction or admixture with modern humans; earliest evidence for pictorial art.
Mesolithic (Epipaleolithic) – was a period in the development of human technology between the Palaeolithic and Neolithic periods.
Neolithic – a period of primitive technological and social development, beginning about 10,200 BC in parts of the Middle East, and later in other parts of the world.
Chalcolithic (or "Eneolithic", "Copper Age") – this period was still largely Neolithic in character, where early copper metallurgy appeared alongside the use of stone tools.
Bronze Age – is not part of prehistory for all regions and civilizations who had adopted or developed a writing system.
Iron Age – is not part of prehistory for all civilizations who had introduced written records during the Bronze Age.
Protohistory – Period between prehistory and history, during which a culture or civilization has not yet developed writing but other cultures have already noted its existence in their own writings; the absolute time scale of "protohistory" varies widely depending on the region, from the late 4th millennium BCE in the Ancient Near East to the present in the case of uncontacted peoples.
Ancient History – Aggregate of past events from the beginning of recorded human history and extending as far as the Early Middle Ages or the Postclassical Era. The span of recorded history is roughly less than five thousand years, beginning with the earliest linguistic records in the third millennium BC in Mesopotamia and Egypt.
Classical Antiquity – Broad term for a long period of cultural history centered on the Mediterranean Sea, comprising the interlocking civilizations of ancient Greece and ancient Rome, collectively known as the Greco-Roman world. It is the period in which Greek and Roman society flourished and wielded great influence throughout Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.
Post-Classical History – Period of time that immediately followed ancient history. Depending on the continent, the era generally falls between the years CE 200–600 and CE 1200–1500. The major classical civilizations the era follows are Han China (ending in 220), the Western Roman Empire (in 476), the Gupta Empire (in the 550s), and the Sasanian Empire (in 651).
Middle Ages – Lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. It began with the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in 476 and is variously demarcated by historians as ending with the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, merging into the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery.
Early Middle Ages (also called Dark Ages)
High Middle Ages
Late Middle Ages
Modern History – After the post-classical era
Early Modern Period – The chronological limits of this period are open to debate. It emerges from the Late Middle Ages (c. 1500), demarcated by historians as beginning with the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, in forms such as the Italian Renaissance in the West, the Ming Dynasty in the East, and the rise of the Aztec in the New World. The period ends with the beginning of the Age of Revolutions.
Late Modern Period – Began approximately in the mid-18th century; notable historical milestones included the French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Industrial Revolution and the Great Divergence
Contemporary History – History within living memory. It shifts forward with the generations, and today is the span of historic events from approximately 1945 that are immediately relevant to the present time. For example, the Post-Modern movement (Soviet Union and United States, 1973–present)

THis is something that could work, perhaps a simplified version of that list? With subcategories for ease of use? Perhaps we can simplify all the Paleolithic eras etc into one category for instance. Since we are focusing on war, perhaps a single category 'Before known history' or something of that nature.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SeekerOfKnowledge Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:19 pm

There probably won't be any need to split up the Paleolithic eras, a category "before known history" aka prehistoric should be enough. (If there are a lot of people who remember military stone age lives, you still can add sub categories).

Sounds good so far. As a beginning, you could go with prehistoric, Ancient, Middle Ages, Modern and Contemporary and split it into sub-categories later, depending on how many members with memories of these eras are there.

Nam, WW2 and WW1 should keep their own sections, of course (maybe one could merge very late modern with contemporary, so that the 20th century is in the same category).
With other wars getting their own sub-section on request (if there are several people who remember the American Civil War, as an example, or the Crusades or the French Revolution or the 30-years war or...)

Long story short: begin it simple and add sub categories as needed.

Thought about possible names, but didn't get any useful ideas. Wasn't able to came up with anything both short and meaningful ("Past Life Trauma Self Help Association" would be a bit long...), what you and CalSol suggested so far is much better than anything I could think of.

SeekerOfKnowledge
SeekerOfKnowledge

Back to top Go down

Post by CanSol Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 am

Agree with you Seeker, keep it simple and expand when needed
CanSol
CanSol
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:23 am

I like your simple list Seeker - am going for it. Cheers for input.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 am

Here's what I have so far:

COMMUNITY

- RULES/GUIDELINES
- NEW MEMBERS
- GENERAL CHAT

MILITARY PAST LIVES

- CONTEMPORARY  - POST 1945
-- Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War
- MODERN - 1700 - 1945
-- American Revolution, WWI, WWII
- EARLY MODERN - 1400 - 1700
- MIDDLE AGES - 400 - 1400
- ANCIENT/CLASSICAL - Prior to 5th CE

REINCARNATION DISCUSSION

- GENERAL
- RESOURCES
- METHODS
- HEALING/SUPPORT

OTHER

- CHATBOX "DROP"
- SUGGESTIONS/COMPLAINTS

Last edited by Landsend on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanSol Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:36 am

looks like a good set up
CanSol
CanSol
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SeekerOfKnowledge Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Thumbs up, looks fine so far.
(Just that there is a typo: "Modern Ages" should be Middle Ages and either end with 1450 or Early Modern should begin with 1400...)
SeekerOfKnowledge
SeekerOfKnowledge

Back to top Go down

Post by Landsend Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:55 pm

Cheers I noticed that too.
Landsend
Landsend
Admin

Back to top Go down